Yup, I am a software developer. I'm a firm believer in polyglot programming and love to learn about new languages, libraries, frameworks, etc.. I jump at the chance (and challenge) of building software systems, services, and tools.
The following are the languages and technologies I'm enjoying developing with the most right now:
- Web and distributed applications with Scala and/or Java
- System tools and native applications—especially on smaller footprint computers—using Rust
- Apache Kafka, especially Kafka Streams
- Containerisation, primarily with Docker
- Amazon Web Services (AWS), like EC2 and ECS
Some stuff I do and some stuff I did
Currently, I am a Principal Consultant at Simple Machines. As a consultant and software engineer, I work with and utilise the best technologies that will help clients solve the problems they present to us.
Previously, I was a Platform Software Engineer at BiblioCommons. I did stuff with Java — mainly building and maintaining a SaaS, Web applications, and Servlet-based software with a mix of other Java-ish stuff.
I also worked at DoublePlay adapting the backend system of their mobile application to handle a much higher throughput of users and interactions. I designed and built the entire system using Scala and Akka.
Before that, I was a postdoc at the National University of Ireland, Galway where I also did stuff with Java (Hadoop, Mahout, Storm, Jetty, OpenRDF).
And before that, I studied and researched applications of logic programming — specifically answer set programming — in conjunction with theories in access control and information security (in particular with XML documents).
Want to know more? Check out my LinkedIn profile.
Sometimes I write stuff other than just code
- Going beyond the de facto software-oriented curriculum
- "So, what exactly will you do next?" - My PhD Story
- An Actor-based User Similarity Recommender: An Experiment with the Akka Toolkit
- What we fear: An opinion on why some software developers don't like the "Everyone Should Learn to Code" philosophy
- StreamRule: A Nonmonotonic Stream Reasoning System for the Semantic Web
- Implementation of a SPARQL Integrated Recommendation Engine for Linked Data with Hybrid Capabilities
- A Formal Language for XML Authorisations Based on Answer Set Programming and Temporal Interval Logic Constraints
- A Formal Language for Specifying Complex XML Authorisations with Temporal Constraints
Some other stuff about me
- I've been playing around with computers since the beginning of the 90's and have been programming for more than 15 years.
- I hava a Diploma in Software Engineering, a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, and an Honours and PhD in the same field. I studied in Canada (my home and native land) and in Australia.
- Before moving permanently to Australia in 2016, I also lived in Ireland and did some postdoctoral work at the National University of Ireland, Galway. I'm originally from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and first moved to Australia temporarily in 2006.
- Outside of computer science, software, programming, and the vast wealth of information that the Internet and social media beckon me with (i.e. Reddit & Twitter), I also enjoy listening to music, (re)watching a ton of movies, and playing video games (when I can find the time). When I'm not in front of a screen, you'll find me spending time with my wife and family in the real world.
Want to get in touch?
- email at email@example.com
- @nothergeek on Twitter